Saturday, October 14, 2017

Four Years Old and in Love with Horses.

When I was four years old I was taken to my Grandpa's house. He had several horses at the time. Here are their names and how old I was (roughly) when I met them.

1. Pokey (4)
2. Dusty (4-6)
3. Old Donner (7)
4. Black Beauty (7)
5. Sugar (8)
6. Roscow (8)
7. Morgan (5)
8. Vivian (6)

All these horses played an important role in my horse obsession that has continued to this day. Pokey was the very first horse I met. He was a beautiful Paint horse with a fantastic disposition for dealing with children. He is one of my first and most vivid memories. His image was vague as I got older, but I always remembered his name was Pokey. I had a toy horse I named after him and one day I found a picture of myself on the real horse. I was shocked, the toy looked exactly like him. He died when I was around five or six.

Dusty and Old Donner lived longer than Pokey. One was an Appaloosa and I believe the other was a Quarter Horse. Old Donner was very done with the world while Dusty was somewhat of a trickster. Black Beauty was fascinated with children. Sugar was a giant Belgium draft horse. We think she died of a broken heart, she was sold and days later she died. There had been nothing wrong with her. That was around two or three years ago. She lived a long and happy life. She was one of the sweetest horses I had ever met.

They all had their own personalities. Vivian and Morgan, I avoided like the plague, they were not friendly and were known to nip people. I had never been nipped by them because I stood far enough away to interact without getting nailed.

Because of seeing all their personalities, beauty, and how fast they could run (Roscow), I decided these were my new favorite animal. I fell deeply in love with horses and would interact with them whenever I had the chance. This led to interactions with other horses.

In Texas:
Titan
Joker
Little Bit

Titan and Joker were at a ranch that I would ride horses at. We did it every year when my Nana came to visit. Titan was the "outcast", he was constantly bullied by the other horses. I loved him because of his gentle personality. Joker lived up to his name, he enjoyed playing pranks on people. You could tell they were pranks because of the glint in his horsey eye before he did them. (Stopping midway on a hill, almost throwing the rider off. Trying to roll in the water. Scratching belly on tall pricky weeds)

I helped take care of Little Bit. I would groom him, give him food, give him water, and ride him. He was a great horse but ornery as heck. He would always throw his head up just enough so I couldn't reach it. He was a stinker, but I loved him.

Thus how my love for horses started and never ended. 

No comments:

Post a Comment