Saturday, November 18, 2017

One of my best Memories

Today I started to think about one of my favorite memories. I was in ASL 3 and 4 (It was a 4 credit class that covered two subjects). ASL is an abbreviation for American Sign Language. It is a language used by the Deaf, hard of hearing, mute (unable to verbalize), Children of Deaf adults (CODAs), and Interpreters.

Anyway, I was in an Associates program for ASL. I struggled in 3&4 because it focused more on storytelling aspects, which isn't my strong suit. But I am learning how to do this still. At the end of the semester, our teacher gave us each a bag of cookies. Inside each bag was a handwritten note by my teacher.

She knew I beat myself up regularly. I was never very good at telling myself was I was good at but my feedback on what I was bad at was exceptional. I still have the note she gave me, it is beaten up and almost falling apart, but I still have it.

It told me to keep going, that I could do it, that I was a lot more skilled than I thought. I almost cried when I read the note. Positive feedback is sometimes harder for me to take than negative feedback. I am much harsher on myself than most people are towards me.

It is still one of my favorite memories to this day.

Just a Pastor's Kid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment